History of the Deutschlandhaus
The Documentation Centre for Displacement, Expulsion, Reconciliation is located in the Deutschlandhaus on the corner of Stresemannstraße and Anhalter Straße, diagonally opposite the ruins of the Anhalter Bahnhof. The building was erected between 1925 and 1931 together with the neighbouring Europahaus as an ensemble. In the pre-war period, the then modern steel skeleton building housed numerous restaurants such as the Mokka-Express-Stube and a cinema and variety theatre, in addition to shops. The Deutschlandhaus was thus a centre of urban life. It was badly damaged during the Second World War and rebuilt in a modified form from 1959 to 1961. As the House of the Eastern German Homeland, it was from then on a meeting place for expellees and served to cultivate East German culture. In 1974, the Deutschlandhaus Foundation was founded and the building was renamed Deutschlandhaus. The neighbouring high-rise building retained the name Europahaus. In 2008, the Federal Government designated the house as the site of the Documentation Centre for Displacement, Expulsion, Reconciliation. For this purpose, extensive renovation and conversion measures took place from 2013 to 2020.